Damien R. Zoubek is a partner in Cravath’s Corporate Department. His practice primarily encompasses mergers and acquisitions, shareholder activism defense, corporate governance and general corporate matters.
Mr. Zoubek has broad mergers and acquisitions experience spanning numerous industries. Notable transactions include representing:
- Alliant Techsystems in its $985 million acquisition of Bushnell Group
- Pilgrim’s Pride in its $7.7 billion offer for Hillshire Brands and in connection with a competing offer to acquire Hillshire made by Tyson Foods
- Vista Outdoor in its pending $412.5 million acquisition of CamelBak Products
- Alpharma in the $395 million sale of its Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients business to 3i
- AmerisourceBergen in its $2.5 billion acquisition of MWI Veterinary Supply, its strategic relationship with Walgreens and Alliance Boots, its $520 million acquisition of World Courier and its $250 million acquisition of TheraCom from CVS Caremark
- Covance in its $6.2 billion sale to LabCorp
- Johnson & Johnson in numerous acquisition and divestiture transactions, including its $1.75 billion acquisition of Alios BioPharma, its $19.7 billion acquisition of Synthes, its €1.75 billion acquisition of Crucell N.V., its $480 million acquisition of Micrus Endovascular, its $1 billion acquisition of Cougar Biotechnology, its $885 million investment in Elan plc and concurrent acquisition of Elan’s Alzheimer’s Immunotherapy Program, its $1.1 billion acquisition of Mentor Corporation, its acquisitions of Covagen, Immunicon and HealthMedia, its $25 billion takeover battle for Guidant, the pending sale of its Cordis business and the divestitures of its Ortho‑Clinical Diagnostics business, Professional Wound Care business and Breast Care business
- Alliant Techsystems in the spin‑off of its Sporting Group to its shareholders and merger of its Aerospace and Defense Groups with Orbital Sciences Corporation through a tax‑free Morris Trust merger of equals
- Arch Chemicals in its $1.4 billion sale to Lonza Group
- Brink’s in its shareholder activism contest with MMI
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe in its $44 billion sale to Berkshire Hathaway
- Olin in its acquisition of Monarch Brass & Copper
Media and Entertainment
- DreamWorks SKG in its $1.6 billion sale to Paramount Pictures
- Time in its $1.6 billion acquisition of IPC Group
- GTECH in its $4.8 billion sale to Lottomatica
- IBM in several acquisition transactions, including its acquisitions of The Now Factory, StoredIQ, Emptoris, Cúram, TRIRIGA, Datacap, Coremetrics, Intelliden, Ounce Labs, FilesX and Corio
- The independent directors of JDA Software Group in the $1.9 billion leveraged buyout of JDA by affiliates of New Mountain Capital
- Lender Processing Services in its $4.3 billion sale to Fidelity National Financial
- Qualcomm in its cooperation agreement with JANA Partners and in its $3.1 billion acquisition of Atheros
Mr. Zoubek also has experience in bankruptcy and restructuring related M&A matters. Notable transactions include representing:
- Credit Suisse in connection with the credit bid by Credit Suisse, as agent on behalf of a group of secured lenders, for the acquisition of the Tropicana Casino & Resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey through a bankruptcy auction
- Credit Suisse in connection with the approximately $700 million acquisition of all the Gulf of Mexico oil and gas assets of ATP Oil & Gas Corporation by Bennu Oil & Gas, LLC. Bennu Oil & Gas was formed by the lenders under ATP’s debtor‑in‑possession credit facility to effect the acquisition
Mr. Zoubek has been repeatedly recognized as a leading lawyer in mergers and acquisitions by, among others, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in 2014 and 2015; The Legal 500 in 2010 and 2013; IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms from 2013 through 2015; and Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers in America from 2011 through 2015. He was listed in Who’s Who Legal: M&A and Governance 2015.
In 2012, Mr. Zoubek was recognized by Law360 as one of five outstanding attorneys in the nation under the age of 40 for his Corporate/M&A work. He was also recognized by The Legal 500 for his transactional work in the technology industry in 2013 and 2014 and for his transactional work in the telecoms and broadcast industry in 2012 and 2013.
Mr. Zoubek was born in Summit, New Jersey. He received a B.S. from Carnegie Mellon University in 1995 and a J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in 1999, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif. He joined Cravath in 1999 and became a partner in 2007.
Mr. Zoubek may be reached by phone at +1‑212‑474‑1876 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.