David J. Perkins is a partner in Cravath’s Corporate Department. His diverse corporate practice focuses on private equity investment funds, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, large‑scale real estate acquisitions and dispositions, and financings and restructurings.
Mr. Perkins counts among his client base BDT Capital Partners, British American Tobacco, Dentsu Aegis, Element Financial, MSD Capital, Tetragon Financial Group, Westbrook Partners and White Mountains Insurance.
Notable recent transactions include representing:
- D+H in connection with its pending C$4.8 billion sale to Vista Equity Partners.
- British American Tobacco in connection with its pending $97 billion merger with Reynolds American.
- BDT Capital Partners in connection with the structuring of BDT Capital Partners Fund II and its related parallel funds, and the fundraising of $6.2 billion in capital commitments from over 100 investors.
- Dentsu Aegis in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Merkle.
- White Mountains Insurance in connection with its sale of TRANZACT to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Element Financial in connection with its $6.9 billion acquisition of GE Capital’s fleet management operations in the United States, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand.
- Westbrook Partners in connection with the formation and private placement of their tenth real estate fund, consisting of aggregate capital commitments of approximately $2.85 billion from over 60 investors.
- Westbrook Partners in connection with various acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and financings involving real estate assets with an aggregate value of over $10 billion, including Ritz‑Carlton hotels located in Boston, New York and Washington D.C., Four Seasons hotels located in Miami and San Francisco and various commercial and residential properties located throughout the U.S.
- O’Connor Capital Partners in connection with the formation of several real estate investment vehicles for non‑U.S. sovereign wealth investors and several subsequent investments by these vehicles in retail properties in the U.S. and Mexico.
In 2014, Mr. Perkins was recognized by Law360 as one of 10 outstanding real estate lawyers in the nation under the age of 40. He was also named a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2013 through 2016 for real estate.
Mr. Perkins was born in Dover, New Hampshire. He received a B.S. from the United States Military Academy in 1997 where he was a distinguished honor graduate, and a J.D., with high honors, from the University of Washington in 2005 where he was an Executive Editor of the Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. Mr. Perkins joined Cravath in 2005 and became a partner in 2013.
Prior to joining Cravath, Mr. Perkins served as an officer in the United States Army in a variety of infantry assignments, including with the 82nd Airborne Division and the 25th Infantry Division, and was later recalled to active duty in 2008 to serve as an embedded advisor to the Afghan National Police in southern Afghanistan, ultimately attaining the rank of Major.
Mr. Perkins may be reached by phone at +1‑212‑474‑1708 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.