Kara L. Mungovan is a partner in Cravath’s Tax Department. Her practice focuses on advising clients on the tax aspects of complex mergers and acquisitions, capital markets transactions and bank financings, both domestically and internationally.
Ms. Mungovan’s clients have included Anheuser‑Busch InBev, Avon, Banco Santander, Cigna, Crown Castle, Hertz, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Lazard, Martin Marietta, Mylan, Shire, Stanley Black & Decker, Time Warner, Weyerhaeuser, Xerox and Zale.
Ms. Mungovan’s recent transactions include representing:
- Stanley Black & Decker in its pending acquisition of the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings and in its pending $1.95 billion acquisition of the Tools business of Newell Brands;
- Mylan in its $9.9 billion acquisition of Meda; its $750 million acquisition, through its Indian subsidiary Mylan Laboratories Limited, of certain female healthcare businesses from Famy Care; and its $5.6 billion inversion acquisition of Abbott’s non‑U.S. developed markets specialty and branded generics business;
- Banco Santander in its pending acquisition of the on‑shore consumer credit card and consumer brokerage and retail banking businesses of Citigroup in Argentina;
- Time Warner in its investment in Hulu and its spin‑off of Time Inc.;
- Shire in its $32 billion combination with Baxalta;
- Anheuser‑Busch InBev in its $123 billion acquisition of SABMiller; the $12 billion sale of SABMiller’s U.S. and global Miller branded businesses to Molson Coors; and a pending asset swap with Ambev in which AB InBev will transfer SABMiller’s Panamanian business to Ambev and Ambev will transfer its business in Colombia, Peru and Ecuador to AB InBev;
- Xerox in its spin‑off of Conduent, its Business Process Outsourcing company;
- Avon in the sale of 80% of its North America business to Cerberus Capital Management and in the PIPE investment by Cerberus in Avon’s international business;
- IBM in its acquisition of Cleversafe and the $850 million sale of its Retail Store Solutions business;
- Cigna in its pending $54.2 billion merger with Anthem;
- Mylan in the arrangement of a $1.6 billion delayed‑draw term loan credit facility;
- Crown Castle in the $1.6 billion sale of CCAL, its Australian subsidiary, to a consortium of investors led by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets;
- Covance in its $6.2 billion sale to LabCorp;
- Lazard in its $400 million registered senior debt offering;
- The Cutrale Group and the Safra Group in their $1.3 billion acquisition of Chiquita;
- The underwriters in the $3 billion registered senior debt offering of Freeport‑McMoRan;
- Martin Marietta in its $3.2 billion acquisition of Texas Industries;
- Minerals Technologies in its $1.7 billion acquisition of AMCOL International;
- Zale in its $1.46 billion sale to Signet Jewelers;
- Graham Holdings in its $1.1 billion split‑off transaction with Berkshire Hathaway;
- Life Technologies in its $15.8 billion sale to Thermo Fisher;
- Weyerhaeuser in its $2.65 billion acquisition of Longview Timber;
- CyrusOne in its $361 million initial public offering;
- Hertz in its $2.6 billion acquisition of Dollar Thrifty;
- Cincinnati Bell in a new $200 million revolving credit facility and CyrusOne in a $225 million revolving credit facility, both in connection with an internal restructuring; and
- Kraft Foods in the tax‑free spin‑off of its North American grocery business.
Ms. Mungovan is from Toronto, Ontario. She received an A.B. magna cum laude in 2004 from Harvard College and a J.D. in 2008 from Harvard Law School, where she was a senior editor of the Negotiation Law Review and a member of the Harvard Defenders. Ms. Mungovan joined Cravath in 2008 and became a partner in 2017.
Ms. Mungovan can be reached by phone at +1‑212‑474‑1954 or by email at email@example.com.